STAY AND PLAY IN THE TWEED
Murwillumbah - Home of Cycling In The Tweed
The picturesque township of Murwillumbah is located centrally in the stunning Tweed Valley on the far north coast of New South Wales. The small town is just 15 minutes from the pristine beaches of the Tweed Coast, 30 minutes south of the Gold Coast and 40 minutes north of Byron Bay.
A dormant volcano, Mt Warning, and its five surrounding World Heritage National Parks provide a blend of rolling green hills and gently flowing rivers, punctuated with pockets of sugar cane and village communities.
This is the setting for cycling events like the Battle on the Border. The mountainous terrain makes Murwillumbah one of the toughest cycling courses in Australia.
Make a Weekend Of It & Include Your Spouse
The Battle on the Border has been designed to minimise the need for teams and riders to move locations as per previous years. The town of Murwillumbah is an easy 2-hour drive from the heart of Brisbane or only 30 minutes from the Gold Coast International Airport.
Murwillumbah is in the heart of the Tweed Valley that features many scenic small villages and easy access to the famous north coast surf beaches. It's the ideal opportunity to make a family weekend of it or bring the better half. They can tour the renown Margrett Olli Regional Art Gallery, Climb Mount Warning or just sample the cafe’s and shop in Tyalgum, Uki and Stokers Siding.
The Battle has been working with our accommodation providers to get riders the best deals possible. For accommodation bookings, deals, and discounts, please contact Nicola at email@example.com.
Santai Retreat Kingscliff
Treat yourself at the Santai Retreat, with luxury beachside apartments set to cater for your every need. Get set for a weekend you will never forget. Santai is a 16 minute drive to the Gold Coast Airport and 30 minute drive to Murwillumbah. Visit www.santairetreat.com.au to find out more.
Great location, affordable, and friendly - the Chinderah Motel has it all. Located 26 minutes from Murwillumbah and 10 minutes from the Gold Coast Airport, Chinderah is the perfect location. Head to www.chinderahmotel.com.au to check out their facilities.
North Star Holiday Resort Hastings Point
Beachside living at its finest - check out the North Star Holiday Resort at Hastings Point for apartment options for up to 12 people. Located 25 minutes from Murwillumbah and 30 minutes from the Gold Coast Airport, North Star is a comfortable option for all. Visit www.northstar.com.au/accommodation-sites to find out more.
The Gold Coast Airport is a 30 minute drive from Murwillumbah, with flight options to all the capital cities.
Virgin Australia Sports Baggage Allowance
Thanks to our friends at Virgin Australia your precious cargo is sorted! They have put together the following offer to get your bike to the event at minimal cost.
The Sports Baggage Allowance offers:
- 2 pieces of baggage (total of 32kg combined)
- Free of Charge – any extra baggage above the allowance would be charged excess baggage fees.
How to access the Sports Baggage Allowance:
- Book a domestic Virgin Australia flight
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Booking Reference Number
- Your sporting organisation or club (please provide a membership number where appropriate)
- The sporting event you are travelling for
- These are requests and are subject to uplift (the availability of space for the luggage)
- All requests must be made via email only and a minimum of 3 business days prior to travel
- Travel Agents are also able to request Sports Baggage through the same means
- The maximum number of “bike boxes” able to be carried on a standard Boeing 737 is 6 – suggest all athletes transport their bikes in “bike bags” instead
Murwillumbah is an easy 30-minute drive from the Gold Coast International Airport with all major car companies represented.